'F for Fabulous!'


12.09.2012

Not even a week into my stay in China and I find myself on antibiotics. A stitch site from my wisdom teeth extraction has become infected- and as a result the right side of my face is once again fat. Trusty doctor dad pre-empted this sort of situation, and so I didn’t have to search the city for antibiotics. Which is handy- because I didn’t pre-empt the same thing for nurofen or panadol, and so am having to take it from Sam, the ever ready one. I am yet to muster the energy to ride to the pharmacy and struggle the language barrier with the sales assistants. 


On the plus side, the sky was significantly blue today. Which was surprisingly exciting, and something I find I have been taking for granted in Melbourne. 

We all seem to have found a place that is rapidly becoming our usual lunch spot. Locals fill a plastic bag with noodle soups, and take it away. We point awkwardly at the noodles; rice or soups- and most of the locals are very accommodating.  The food is delicious, and costs under a dollar for a large serving. 


In my classes, I am residing in group F. Some people like to call it the lowest class you can be put into- we prefer ‘F for Fabulous’. Today was grammar, so we spent four hours learning to read, write and speak about Mary- a girl who is a student (xuesheng). Coincidently, so are all of her friends (ta ye shi xuesheng). Some people really do live fascinating lives, and I like to think that I can relate to her on a certain level.

After we had some lunch, a group of three eastern European guys showed Matt and I a market really close to our hotel. The first thing we noticed was the less than ideal smell of the place, with a combination of seafood, raw meat and baked goods sitting side by side. They offered cheaply made clothes, shoes and food (not sure about the food though). Still, good to know that these things are around.



An afternoon nap to rest my fat face (well, half fat face), and then a spot of Chinese revision this afternoon. We are all struggling getting used to doing subjects we actually have to revise and study for. One becomes so used to picking up a camera and getting credit points for it. However, we must trade that for Chinese characters and listening and speaking for the next 12 weeks. And it is all made a little easier when fireworks go off regularly just outside your room window. Fat face, signing off. 

 

Meet The Author

I am a 22 year old photographer traveling to far away lands in hope of doing some good and discovering more of myself.

Get In Touch