Off to Chiang Rai we go.


On the last day in Bangkok, as we sat at our "usual" food stall (three visits classifies it as usual right?) a man sitting next to me tapped me on shoulder and pointed. As I reached for the chopsticks (thinking that's what he wanted) he stopped my hand and pointed his finger upwards. Above me, an umbrella sat with it's metal pole aimed downwards only about half a meter above my head. He looked at me sternly and with the little English he had told me to "be careful". With that, he smiled and went back to his meal. His wife looked at Jakob and I with the warmest of smiles, and I instantly felt welcomed. Welcomed into this new country by the people who inhabit it. In the form of a warning not to put an umbrella pole through my skull, but I digress...



The last day was spent organising a flight, train tickets, bus tickets and ferry tickets for the rest of our trip. It was a hectic day, but everything now feels organised and is allowing us to breathe easier. Our overnight train for Chiang Mai departed at 6:10pm. As we sat on the train eating pad thai waiting for the train to leave, I couldn't help but think that the whole set up was much nicer than that which I had experienced in China. The couches folded into beds, and the bottom bed was large enough to comfortably (well, sort of) fit two people. In the evening, a man came through the carriage and turned all the couches into beds, put up curtains and everyone peacefully to sleep. Except Jakob, who spent the night tossing and turning as a result of the carriage lights being on all night. We awoke in the morning and pulled the curtains to find rolling hills and lush greenery. The hillsides were breathtaking, and locals held their children on ledges as they waved to the passing train.  


From the train, we headed for the bus connecting us to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai. By the time we arrived, it was the early afternoon and we checked into our hostel, Fun-D Hostel. On trip advisor, the place had full star reviews and promised great things. And they sure have delivered! From the moment we arrived, the employees were warm and inviting! Going out in search of food, we found a lovely place and were told to try bits and pieces and find things we liked.


Sauntering, we found a mountain with a beautiful view and watched the sun descend over Chiang Rai, as we both decided we had made a good choice coming here. 


A visit to the night bazaar and a dinner of silk worms and we were completely spent for the night, crashing into bed happy and full of beautiful local sights and silky bugs.

 

Meet The Author

I am a 22 year old photographer traveling to far away lands in hope of doing some good and discovering more of myself.

Get In Touch